Regulations & House Rules
- The use of the courts is open to members and junior members of the Durbanville Squash Club only.
- Members may invite non-members to play as guests.
MEMBERSHIP CARDS & KEYS:
All paid-up members are issued with a membership card & key and are obliged to use it in the following manner:
- Use the key to unlock front door. (if not open). Ensure that front door is locked if you are the last person to leave the club. Use the membership card to release the security gate by swiping the card.
- Use the card to book a court or to activate the lights of your booked court. Ensure that you log out of your personal info, after use, with the “exit” button.
- Members are not permitted to loan their key or card to any other person, especially NOT to non-members.
A social court can be booked one week (7 days) in advance by, i) Personally booking at club’s booking computer, ii) phone the office during office hours, iii) making (or cancel) a booking via our website’s “book a court” facility. (Highly recommended). You need to register once off to use this facility. Obtain your pin & procedure from office to register.
You are not allowed to book more than one court during peak periods. (16-15 to 19-15).
League matches, during the season take preference over social games. Friendly matches must be arranged through the club manager in advance. League practices must be arranged via normal bookings.
A court must be cancelled at least 3 hours in advance, either by phoning the office or via “go book’.
A court that is not cancelled will result in a “double payment” penalty, automatically deducted by our booking computer, as programmed.
PLAYING ON COURTS:
- Non marking shoes must be used at all times. If a player is caught with shoes that leave marks, a fine of R200 will be imposed.
- No chewing gum, bottles or any item may be left on a court. (use the dust bins)
Members are to conform to the standard dress code. Nobody is allowed to play without a shirt.
During a league match, all players must wear a proper shirt with sleeves, as per the WPS league rules.
(Preferably a DBV shirt.)
LEAGUE & LADDER:
The purpose of the ladder is to determine the relative playing strength or standard of members. League teams are selected according to the ladder and it encourages a spirit of competition amongst members.
Challenges may be performed according to the following rules:
- A member on the ladder may challenge a person who is one or two positions ahead.
- A member not on the ladder may challenge at random. Should the challenger lose he/she may then only challenge below that station until a victory is recorded.
- In order to determine a member’s playing strength, a challenge may be arranged at the discretion of the Club Captain.
Should a challenger win the match, which is decided by the best of five games, his/her name shall be placed in the defender’s position and the names below moved down accordingly.
Should a member fail to honour a challenge within 7 days, the challenger shall be deemed to have won by default. Only the Club Captain may alter the ladder.
For league & tournament purposes our club is affiliated to the Provincial body WP Squash, as well as to the National body Squash SA. We are therefor required to adhere to the rules & regulations of the above.
As stipulated in our Constitution, members may only participate in league (and any other tournament) if they are fully paid up in terms of their annual subscriptions and any other fees as required by the club or Provincial body.
It is required that all our members play their league games in the club’s colours wherever possible.
Bad behaviour on court during a league match may result in disciplinary action, as provided for in our Constitution.
- It is the barman’s duty to ensure that NO persons under the age of 18 years, purchase liquor at the bar. (Only cool drinks or other refreshments).
- No I.O.U. is accepted at the bar.
- By Law a barman has the authority to refuse service and/ or expel a person who is disorderly or drunk according to the description of the Law.
- The club’s barmen will not serve anybody without a shirt. No service to persons wearing a cap in the bar.
There is no charge for the use of the sauna. Members are reminded to treat this facility with due care and to ensure that it is switched off after use.
Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the club except in the designated legal smoking room.
- All members must at all times be vigilant and aware of any suspicious person(s) entering the club or loitering in parking area.
- There is a “panic button” in the bar which can be used to alarm Halt Security, which will respond immediately.
- As per the notice boards displayed in the area. Any person or vehicle entering this property does so solely at that person’s or owner/driver’s risk and Durbanville Club accepts no liability for any loss, injury or damage of whatever nature howsoever arising whilst on the property.
- The parking bays are marked for vehicles and provision are made (and marked) for motor cycles, which are expected to park accordingly.
(Updated Feb 2016)